Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Are you enjoying the Time of EVE?

School has begun, and for my last year in college, I have decided that I will try different things. Thus, on a whim, I decided to check out my school’s anime club when I got the club’s flyer.

Yesterday was the first showing of the semester, and it was my first time ever at any anime club. I simply really never had any friends who are into anime, manga, or the whole otaku culture, and it never occured to me to join an anime club. When I approached the lecture hall where the showing was, I met several rather interesting individuals. Most veteran members and officers are very nice.

After a brief introduction to the club, the showing began. They showed the first five episodes of Time of EVE (EVE no Jikan). I had not heard of this series before. It was amazing; simply just very wonderful; the kind of sci-fi anime that I really really enjoy. I will be sure to watch episode six of EVE no Jikan when that comes out.



(This is a very nice fan art of Konata.)

What was not so great were the shrieking laughs of the other members (or a particular member). She has a rather annoying screech. I do not particularly mind a few chuckles here or there, but… I suppose Konata was right when she says anime is something personal and should be enjoyed as such.

Further, during introduction and intermission, the club officers just seem a bit… disorganized, uncharismatic, and immature. I have been very involved with quite a few activities and student organization on campus, and we have done great things, from setting up student-run free clinics to building houses for the homeless. Comparatively, the anime club have trouble even just getting through events in a timely manner. Seriously, cut out the immature internet memes and the stupid overdone jokes that just are not funny. And things are not cooler just because you add “epic” to every other word.

Or most likely I’m just being overly critical of a “fun club” because I did not win the raffle for the item I rather wanted. I have also been in quite a negative mood recently… I actually do feel kind of bad about being so harsh… But it’s the internet; everyone can be meaner.

Anyway, watching a wonderful high quality anime projected onto a huge screen, sitting in comfortable, relaxing chairs in a darkened, theater-like hall was still quite an experience. I did enjoyed my Time of EVE.

I cannot say the same for the club though.

I am sure I will go back again, if only to try to win the raffle for something else or check out their conventions, but I am not sure if I really want to participate in their weekly game nights. I would rather do better things in life.

[Via http://listlessink.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment