Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Evangelion 2.0

Oh Em Gee. Was that worth the wait? I think so.

I booked the day off work about a month ago in order to enjoy the double feature which will likely proove to be the height of ‘Scotland Loves Animation’s contribution to the Glasgow Film Festival.

Took a wander up to the GFT with Giant Robot loving friends Tom, Steven and Christina. We met a lot of familiar faces there, understandably. Grabbed a row of seats near ex flatmat Simon and his crazy lady friend, Natalie.

Though having seen Evangelion 1.01 shortly after its Japanese DVD release and sleeping through it at the Anime All Nighter in London, back in November (not enough caffienne in the world), I was excited to see it again.

But Eva 1.0 was completelly blown out of the water by the second film in the quadrilogy. Firstly, the gap in production quality was instantly noticable. Presumably 2.0 was able to comfortably ride on some of 1.0’s profits.

I fell in love with the characters, even Rei. That’s right. I said it. They actually made Rei a character I cared about, as opposed to the piece of furnature she resembled in the series. The new character also, Mari Makinami whom I had questioned the relevance of previously, essentially plays Kamina (Gurren Lagann) but with breasts. What’s not to love?

Full review will be up on the site this week. I’m waiting for some promotional screens from the Scotland Loves Animation coordinator (and my flatmate/wife), Andrew.

Also got my copy of Schoolgirl Milky Crisis signed by Jonathan Clements, who introduced the second film. <3

If you do get the chance to see this film, don't pass it up.

[Via http://bryoz.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment